Monday, January 9, 2012

Theological Rhetoric...or Lack Thereof.

[EDIT]
If you're interested, read Women in the Days of the Cathedrals - Régine Pernoud.  It's a very interesting book about the history of women in Catholicism.
[/EDIT]

I hosted a party this Saturday to bring in the new year.  I'm feeling under the weather, so no drinking for me; which means that when I was asked if someone in the house was a religions major I was completely sober.  I was asked twice - at intervals of twenty minutes, or so - explaining both times that I was converting.  The second time it sunk in, but was not pursued.  The third time it came up, I was sitting next to the couch watching the game of King's Cup unfold when Ryan* turned around and said, "so, you're converting to Catholicism, why?  Are you converting for him?" He nodded his head in my fiance's direction and gave me an interesting look.
I told him that, no, I was not converting for him.  Yes, he had shown me the faith, but I had chosen to convert for my own reasons.
It was clear he didn't believe me because the next thing out of his mouth was a statement of his surprise.  Something about Catholicism being anti-feminine.
"You mean, anti-feminist?" I asked.
"Both." was his reply.
When I asked him what he meant he provided no answer, but changed the subject.
Later, as he was looking at my art he expressed his disbelief again by saying I was so good at drawing the female figure and that my artwork centers around women.
So I shot my confusion at his theory right back and was met, again, with a change of subject.
He never explained his reasoning.

Here is the fundamental problem with Ryan's argument:
The feminist movement appears to actually be against femininity in some ways.  Just as a female body builder appears to be against a feminine figure.
"Women can do anything men can do."
Or shall we say,
"I can do anything you can do better."
Wrong.  Women are not built the way men are.  We can't move or lift objects that a man can without help.  We're different - women and men were made differently.  The two sexes are designed to complement one another.

I could go on, but the basic point is that something cannot be both anti-feminine and anti-feminist as feminism is all about women being men, thus it is anti-feminine.
Let me say here that I am not exactly against feminism.  I do think it has become misguided, however.  Women's rights should be equal, yes.  Hormonal birth-control so that women can sleep with anyone and everyone they so choose, well, that's a different story.

So I was left to puzzle out exactly what he meant after listening to him say (without explanation) that he had left the Church, and so had his parents.  Basically undermining my own decision to pursue the faith.
I don't know if I'll ever figure out exactly what he was saying about Catholicism being anti-feminine.  The statement itself doesn't make any sense to me.

This form of "debate" is what I find most commonly as my opposition.  If anything, it solidifies my certainty that I am traveling down the right road.  I know that on this road there will be a lot of Ryans, and the logic behind their arguments will always be strangely absent, and I will puzzle over it for a little while.  But they will not deter me with their rumors and misinformation; I am capable of doing my own research.  I have to admit, though, that discussing with a Ryan is sort of droll, and sometimes frustrating: I look forward to meeting someone who can have an intellectual debate about the faith with me.  Someone who challenges my mind.

Until then, I shall endure the Ryans with contemplative amusement.


*name has been changed

2 comments:

  1. Tim. 2:11-15 – “Let a woman learn in silence with all submissiveness. I permit no woman to teach or to have authority over men; she is to keep silent. For Adam was formed first, then Eve; and Adam was not deceived, but the woman was deceived and became a transgressor."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While I don't exactly like this quote I would still classify it as anti-feminist and not anti-feminine. Being feminine does not include holding authority over men in my honest opinion.

      If you can tell me precisely how Catholicism inhibits one's ability to be utterly feminine, be my guest; I welcome the discussion. I am not, however, looking to discuss how Catholicism is anti-feminist because there are many ways the Church exhibits anti-feminist views, and the discussion could take months.

      Delete