Friday, April 5, 2013

High-school Never Ends.

I was walking into DSW to check out their clearance rack when someone in the parking lot made a pretty loud moaning sound.  I realized when I looked that this person was laughing at something with a friend so I went on my merry way.  While I was going on my merry way her friend - or her, I'm not sure which - said, "she's wearing that skirt," in the most sarcastic tone she could muster it seemed.  I'm not sure if they were trying to pick a fight with me, but they were certainly being responsible adults.  I didn't give the lady a funny look or anything; her loud noise made me look over impulsively, an instant reaction, because something about it made me wonder if everything was okay.
So I spent some time being offended.  The five-year-old me crossed her arms and stuck out her pouty lip saying, "that wasn't very nice..."

I don't think race had anything to do with that, but it reminded me of something that happened to me a long time ago:
It was near midnight on a Friday and I was sitting at a stop light enjoying some rather loud techno on channel 93.3's Eleven program (before they started playing crappy techno) when a white car pulled up next to me.  This car was full of drunk girls (that is giving them the benefit of the doubt, I don't know if they were actually drunk).  The passenger got my attention and had me lower my music.  What she proceeded to do was fling racial slurs at me.  She looked so proud of herself while she did it too.
I don't remember what she said, or what I did because the whole thing was so surreal, but I'm pretty sure I did something dumb like say, "uh, okay," and roll up my window.  She laughed and laughed and laughed at my reaction though.
I spent a good deal of time being offended over that one, and it still irks me to think about it.  The five-year-old me wanted to throw something and cry, and she still kind of pouts about it.
This happened in at least 2008, maybe 2009.  So a while ago.

In high-school I spent a week being physically ill because when I turned down one of my classmates for a date he decided that he, and all of his friends, would spread rumours about having slept with me.  He had a lot of friends.
When I turned him down he said, "it's because I'm black, isn't it?"
I wasn't clever enough at the time, but I should have said, "no, but now it's because you pulled the race card."

In middle school I also spent some time feeling physically ill when girls I thought were my friends started spreading a rumour that I had gotten a favourite teacher of the class suspended and/or fired (I can't remember which) for reading out of the bible.  The ring leader for this one was Jewish and I was Christian.  It was her father who had gotten him in trouble, but for whatever reason she decided I should take the fall.
The whole thing was pretty ridiculous, seeing as nothing needed to be said about it.  I was kind of sad the teacher was gone, but it wasn't the end of the world to me.  I guess other people thought it was really important though.

Things like these tend to just happen to me, and I'm not fast enough on the uptake to really respond properly.  It takes me a moment to process events and decide how I feel about them.  In the mean time, I usually end up doing something stupid that I look back on and facepalm.

They do say that hindsight is 20/20.

The original point of this is that I think it's ridiculous that people who are supposed to be full-grown adults can be so spiteful and immature.

FAIR WARNING: do not read past this point if you are easily traumatized.

On a related note of losing faith in the human race: There's a case of a man raping his girlfriend's 6-month-old daughter to death.  He was convicted, and sentenced to the death penalty but now his attorneys are saying that the sentence is too much because the man was so drunk he wasn't in control of his actions.  They say that while he intended to rape the child he did not intend to kill her.
I heard about this on Monday I think and I'm still traumatized by it.  Maybe it's because I have an 8-month-old, I don't know.

I just want to live in my little bubble of not ever knowing about a man who is capable of raping a 6-month-old child.
Now is the time for science to come up with some sort of selective memory erasing device.
Get on it science!

2 comments: