Thursday, December 6, 2012

WAPF Pie

With the holidays here I wanted to bake pie.  I had ten mason jars full of puree (from two pumpkins!) so I thought I'd make pumpkin pie.
I've never made pumpkin pie before, so I consulted my Nourishing Traditions book.  I love the crust recipe; the filling was...interesting...so I modified it so that it would have more of the traditional pumpkin pie flavor I like so much.

The first time I made the filling I just used my mixer.  This produced slightly lumpy pie, almost like I put apple pieces in it.  Not only that, but the recipe calls for grated lemon rind, so the pie tasted something like a lemon creme pie with pumpkin.  Maybe I used a lemon that was too large, but the next time around I skipped the lemon.

The second time I made the filling I ran it through my blender after mixing it together.  This pie came out much smoother and overall more pleasant to eat.  In addition to omitting the lemon I tweaked the spices which produced a better flavor.

The third time I made the pie I ran the liquid through my blender before adding the pumpkin and then ran the blender a bit more.  I also tweaked the spices further.  The result was pretty awesome I think.  I didn't have an actual slice of this pie because I took it to my friend who just had a baby boy (yay!) but I baked some of the filling in a ramekin to make sure it tasted okay.

So here's the crust recipe.  The only modifications are the partial substitution of whole wheat flour for the white and the removal of Stevia powder:

1 cup unbleached white flour
1/3 cup whole wheat flour
pinch of salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) frozen butter
2 egg yolks
3 rounded tablespoons cold water

Stir flour and salt into a food processor.  Cut the butter into about 16 pieces and distribute over flour.  Pulse the processor until the butter is broken into pea-sized pieces and is well distributed.  Beat the egg yolks briefly with a fork and dribble over the flour mixture.  Pulse once or twice (maybe three times for good measure).  Turn on the processor and pour water in, stop the processor "at once."  The butter should still be visible in pea-sized pieces.  Turn the crust onto wax paper, wrap up and squeeze (not hard, wax paper tends to split open), forming a ball.  Refrigerate for several hours.
Roll on a floured sheet of wax paper.

For your viewing pleasure:
 This really does work, by the way.  And I found that it was amazingly entertaining to do.  Now I just have to keep a plastic bottle around.

Pumpkin Pie Filling (my modified recipe)

15 ounces pumpkin
3 eggs
90 ml dark brown sugar (1/4 and 1/8 cups)
1 1/2 teaspoon ginger
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup piima cream or creme fraiche
2 tablespoons brandy

Oven: 350°

Line a pie pan with the crust above.  Cream eggs and sugar, gradually adding everything except the pumpkin.  Blend.  Add pumpkin and blend a bit more.  Pour into the pie shell and bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.

If you want a sweeter pie, go ahead and just use 3/4 cup of dark brown sugar (or Rapadura is what the original recipe calls for).  I always halve the amount of sugar a baking recipe calls for.

Also, cream fraiche is like french sour cream.  I like it better than sour cream, myself.  You can find it at Sprouts, or a health food store in your area.

~~~

Okay, so this is me coming up with grandiose plans that most likely will not happen but I'm going to give it my best shot.  I'm going to try and make one recipe from the Nourishing Traditions book a day - or at least one a week.  This is a massive project, but I'm really trying to commit to eating better and I think this might be a good way to start.

Anyway, I hope y'all had a great Thanksgiving filled with good cheer and merriment and such!

No comments:

Post a Comment